The site was formerly a petrol filling station situated in Four Oaks, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham. The client, The Co-Operative (Coop) had previously obtained planning permission to develop the site for the construction of a new convenience store and associated parking. The site is relatively small occupying an overall area of 0.21 acres.
The presence of three underground fuel
storage tanks was also confirmed by the desk
study work and Fire Service.
Envirotreat were commissioned to:-
- Propose and gain regulatory approval for the a remediation scheme to meet the requirements in respect of planning approval
- Demolish the existing site structures and dispose off-site
- Lift existing floor slabs (these were fully recycled)
- Remove and recycle former underground fuel storage tanks
- Treat impacted soils and groundwater
- Install a Permeable Reactive Barrier
- Consolidate existing soils
- Provide geotechnical platform suitable for ground bearing slab
- Gain regulatory sign-off