Envirotreat was commissioned to undertake a site investigation of the former Milford Mill site to facilitate a new new residential development for Wavensmere
The works included
- Phase 2 Ground investigation including geotechnical & environmental assessment
- Retaining wall foundation integrity assessment
- Assessment of mill Laid (culvert) integrity assessment

07765 242650 www.fstoppress.com www.rkpphotography.co.uk
Site History
This part of the site was a only part of a much bigger complex of building which formed the overall Milford Mill complex. The development area was occupied by the Bleach and Dye Works, the larger South Mill was demolished in the 1950-60’s.
Milford was named for its river-crossing, on an ancient route from Derby to the Peak district. The power of the Derwent was used from medieval times to run a corn-mill, dying and fulling mills, and iron and scythe forges. Jedediah Strutt, a farmer turned hosier, recognised the potential of the site. Inventor of the Derby rib machine, Strutt owned a Derby silk mill, and had set up cotton mills in Belper.
In 1781, he bought land in Milford to build a cotton spinning mill. It was one of a series of textile milles constructed on the Derwent between Matlock and Derby during the Industrial Revolution. These pioneering developments, which included the creation of new communities to house and cater for the workforce they required, are now recognises as being of international importance.
The Milford Mill complex eventually included spinning, bleaching and dying mills, as well as foundries, joiners’ workshops, a gas-works and a corn-mill. The Warehouse, constructed in 1793, was an early attempt by William Strutt, Jedediah’s eldest son, to design a fire-proof multi-storey structure. Later, and more successful, attempts at fire-proofing are embodies in the Dyehouse building, near the bridge. Whilst almost all the early mill buildings were demolished in the 1950s and ‘60s, much of the associated industrial housing has survived. Many of these houses were built by the Strutts, from the late 18th century onwards, transforming Milford from a riverside hamlet into a company village. The Strutts also built the school, created several farms to supply produce for their workers, helped establish the village’s various religious and social buildings.
The school remians today and is the oldest operational school in Derbyshire.
Part of the Dye Works and Chimney stack remain today as listed structures.
Dye Works Building

Chimney Stack

