Envirotreat was commissioned by the landowner to develop and gain regulatory permission for the remediation of a former petrol filling station in Sutton Coldfield. The site had planning permission to be redeveloped for retail (co-op) purposes.
The site was relatively small occupying an overall area of just 0.21 acres.
The works consisted of :-
- Propose and gain regulatory approval for the remediation scheme to meet the requirements in respect of planning approval
- Demolish the existing site structures and dispose off-site
- Lift existing floor slabs (these were fully recycled)
- Remove and recycle former underground fuel storage tanks
- Treat impacted soils and groundwater using E-Clay stabilisation
- Install an E-Clay Permeable Reactive Barrier
- Consolidate existing soils
- Provide geotechnical platform suitable for ground bearing slab
- Gain regulatory sign-off of the petrol filling station remediation
The demolition / remediation works were made more complex due the:-
- small footprint of the site,
- maintaining access to the operational MOT / repair garage that adjoined the site (and shared access) and the
- discovery that the Party wall had no footings and and decaying mortar. The foundations requires underpinning and wall helibar repairs before the the demolition could be completed